It’s the question on a lot of people’s minds when choosing the right material to use for their carpets, which is best…wool or a man-made polypropylene carpet?
So to help you make this important but difficult choice, here’s our guide to both materials to help you make an informed decision.
- This man-made fibre is a less expensive carpet than wool so might be a better option if you’re looking for a more affordable carpet
- It’s soft and tactile which means it can still feel luxurious, warm and comfortable, even with the lower price tag
- Polypropylene carpet is durable and easy to maintain but can flatten quickly, if laid in a very high traffic area
- They are easier to clean than wool carpets and allow for bleach cleaning, which makes them stain-resistant, especially on cold liquids
- Hot liquids could present a different problem however, so avoid areas where hot drinks are regularly consumed or be very careful!
- Polypropylene is also flammable which makes it less safe than wool – probably not the best choice if you have an open fire in the room!
Other man-made, more affordable carpets are available, such as Nylon or Polyester, which you can find out more about here.
- Wool carpets are generally more expensive however with the extra price comes extra luxury, warmth, noise reduction and more
- They are more durable, keep their original shape longer and won’t flatten as quickly
- As for stains, they’re also good for resisting them however you need to be more careful when treating them – no bleach should be used on wool carpets! A detergent or stain remover without alkaline should be used
- Wool carpets are considered safer – if exposed to fire, wool burns slower and can self-extinguish flames
- They’re also environmentally friendly
- A minor downfall for wool carpets however is that they can fade when exposed to sunlight
- They can be also be attacked by carpet moths, but this can be mitigated when treated with care – read our guide on how to mothproof your carpet here.
There is also an option to have the best of both materials, with a wool-mix carpet, which has the feel and luxury of a wool carpet with the durability and more affordable price tag of polypropylene (or Nylon or Polyester).
Whichever carpet material is best for your home or business, Kennington Flooring are happy to help you out. We have a wide range of carpets in all materials.
For more information and advice on choosing the right carpet for you, get in touch with us today.